NBA trade deadline March 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA trade deadline March 25

It is fun watching this team right now and the 3.5 game lead they have built over the 2nd place Clippers.

I doubt the Jazz do anything to disrupt how well things are going with the team right now. But thought we could use a place for some upcoming rumors over the next several weeks.

As a side note, there was some chatter 2 days ago about teams, including the Jazz, who had inquired about the status of PJ Tucker (in the final year of his contract at $8 mill) after the James Harden trade. I intended to post a link but realized it is behind a pay wall at The Athletic so I won't. In reviewing the Jazz roster, I don't see anyone who could work as a trade, and imagine the Jazz only being interested in adding Tucker if the Rockets were to buy him out and let him become a free agent. The Jazz do have 2 roster spots available for moves after waiving Shaq Harrison before his contract became guaranteed. The current roster has 13 of 15 slots filled and 2 2-way players (Brantley and Forrest).

I'm a fan of P.J.Tucker but I don't know how the Jazz could swing a deal for him. He'd bring the toughness we lost when Crowder was traded.

I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway you're on the same wavelength as the referees. ~Jonathan Davies, 1995

Comment

We have 2 TPE's.... one from the Bradley deal.... worth 3M, the other from the Davis one, worth 5.

So.... his salary fit in those, he could be had with a pick....
      "I like being a mystery, They haven't seen me to pick apart my game -- and they also haven't seen how much better I've gotten in the past year." Dante Exum

Comment

Good info, soy. At least we know the Jazz have interest. Anyone know what Houston is looking for? Maybe clearing salary for a rebuild?

I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway you're on the same wavelength as the referees. ~Jonathan Davies, 1995

Comment

I love this aggressive Jazz front office.

Comment

I think the challenge would be unless something has changed, the exceptions can't be combined for a signing.

Today I'm reading that Blake Griffin may be bought out by the Pistons. PJ Tucker-interested teams now read as Nets, Bucks, Heat, Nuggets & Lakers. Others could hit the buyout market like Andre Drummond.

Comment

Now that the Jazz aren't on the PJ Tucker list, it's probably going to happen.

Comment

Blake Griffin has agreed to a buyout--playoff teams are now all going to court him to join them.

Comment

Word is he's going to the Nets

Comment

Originally posted by paterooski View Post
                    I'm a fan of P.J.Tucker but I don't know how the Jazz could swing a deal for him. He'd bring the toughness we lost when Crowder was traded.
                    Would love a Crowder/Booker type right now. Even if that person wasn't playing a lot, it's nice to have some of that attitude around.

Comment

Checking in on Jae. Didn't realize he was in Phoenix this year. 10 pts, 5 rpg, 38% from 3 on 6.4 attempts per game. Would love that dude on this team.

Comment

Here is what HoopsHype says the Jazz could/should do:
                        https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-trad...team-analysis/ Utah Jazz

Limited position

The Jazz have a healthy lead over for the top seed in the West. It seems inconceivable that they would trade any of their top-8 players [Conley, Gobert, Bogdanovic, Clarkson, Ingles, Favors, O'Neale, Mitchell]. They could get a little aggressive and acquire a role player with one of their TPEs ($5 million and $3.5 million). After waiving Shaquille Harrison, the Jazz are about $4.3 million below the hard cap, so they could add another role player within that budget.

The Jazz could alternatively make a cost-cutting move. They are going to be a taxpaying team over the next five years now that they have Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert locked into maximum contracts during that span. They are currently $1.2 million above the luxury tax. There is a path for them to get below the luxury tax without trading their Top 8 players but it would require trading away some of their young prospects. Getting under the luxury tax this year would delay the repeater tax, giving the Jazz tens of millions in luxury tax savings three years from now.

================================================== =======================

The "young players" who would yield enough of a salary dump to get below the luxury tax is Georges Niang, Juwan Morgan, or Miye Oni. Elijah Hughes wouldn't be enough as he only makes just under $900k this season so wouldn't get you under the luxury tax by himself.
                        Last edited by f1do; 03-09-2021, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I would really hate to lose any of those guys, especially Niang and Oni.
                          Rudy Gobert: "Frankly, I like it there and I like the project."

Comment

Working...
                          X