2020 rumors & deadline trades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 rumors & deadline trades

I've got a few things. Some Jazz related but most NBA related.

Jazz are looking to upgrade their frontcourt bench. Problem is, Ed Davis has no trade value. Actually, few of the Jazz bench players have any value at all. So it is likely that the Jazz will not be able to upgrade their bench until the buyout market.

Jazz have been considering waiving Juwan Morgan before his contract becomes guaranteed. But they are unsure if he would last long enough on the open market to re-sign him to 10 day contracts.

Jazz and Jeff Green have been very quiet on what went down that lead to his departure. But it seems like it may have just been a bad fit all around.

Jazz have been active on the trade market, even before the season started. Exum was their primary chip but others have been discussed as well.

The Jazz may end up making a weird small move with the Grizzlies. The Grizzlies want Blake Griffin but the Pistons want multiple 1st next year, so the Grizzlies will need the Jazz pick. The problem is the protections on the pick. Memphis could offer the Jazz a pair of 2nds to remove their protections on the pick (top 8 would stay in place) so that the Grizzlies can trade that pick.

The Pistons did offer the Jazz Drummond for Gobert but the Jazz shot that down. Detroit has offered the Jazz deals like this in the past but the Jazz are not interested.

In terms of guys, the Jazz could get in the buyout market. A few former Jazz players are high possibilities. guys such as Marvin Williams, Paul Millsap and Kyle Korver could be available. Jazz are also hoping that Derrick Favors may be available as well. Others such as Rudy Gay, Taj Gibson, Marco Belinelli, and Udonis Haslem may be on the market as well.

You guys may be surprised to see Paul Millsap on there, but Denver has been quietly trying to acquire another big name to go with Jokic. Blake Griffin could be their target.

If you haven't noticed a lot of rumors around the Pistons right now and that's because they are trying to blow it up. Everyone is available from them. Few players on their roster are even going to be expensive. Most of their roster could be had with salary cap and a 2nd rounder. The Jazz may be interested in a few players as well. I am told they like Wood and Mykhailiuk.

Washington could be another potential trade partner for the Jazz. They are also trying to cut salary and collect assets.

Toronto could have some interest in Ed Davis. Not sure what they could give the Jazz that would help the Jazz though.

There is no truth to the rumor that Mike Conley is unhappy with the Jazz. Conley is unhappy with his body and its inability to heal fast enough, but not the Jazz or the city. Jazz are being careful with it, they do not want to rush him back and lose him for the playoffs. The Jazz still think that they can make a significant playoff run and will need Conley to do it. He should be back late January to early February and the Jazz will bring him in slowly.

Jazz will be offering both Gobert and Mitchell the max extensions that they can offer to both. Jazz management sees a three to four-year window to win a title starting this season and will need both of those guys to do it.

Management is happy with the starters, it is the bench that they are frustrated with. So do not expect any moves to any starting five and the 6th man(MC, DM, JI, BB, RG, RO) Everyone else could be moved.

One guy the Jazz have been impressed with is Tony Bradley. He has taken huge steps from the end of last year until now. His career was hanging by a thread at the end of last year. The Jazz seen him as salary to be included in a trade and were preparing to likely waive him at the end of the preseason. But he came into the summer league having bulked up some and played well enough that they thought he was worth the risk and took his option. He has improved much more than they thought he would.

The guy the Jazz are most disappointed in is Nigel Williams-Goss. They thought he was going to able to see some minutes, but he has not been impressive at all. Another guy thats let the Jazz down is Miye Oni. He hasn't adjusted to the new system and his new role as fast as the Jazz have liked.

Justin Wright-Foreman is about where they expected him to be.

If the Jazz should move multiple players at the deadline there is a possibility that Jarrell Brantley will be converted into a regular contract. Jazz like him a lot, but worried about his size.

Now on to the rest of the NBA.

Lakers, like the Jazz, are trying to fix their bench. Rondo is on his way out and Dudley may follow suit. There are some issues in that lockerroom and of all people, Dwight Howard is trying to play peacemaker. Kuzma is also being quietly shopped. Lakers will be big players for waiver wire guys. obviously they like Iggy but if someone like Favors should hit the market they will be all over that.

Atlanta is another team that is active. They suck they know it and they want draft picks to take all your sucky players with bad contracts. Chandler Parsons is actually a very useful asset now, and while there is the rumor for Drummond, the Hawks are holding off right now hoping to find a better deal with more draft picks.

Warriors are another team that is actively looking to acquire pieces. The Warriors are in a unique situation as Curry, Thompson, and Green are off-limits, but they think they can land pieces to help them in the future. They are very interested in Karl Towns and KAT is very interested in them. Dlo for KAT straight-up works, but the Wolves are going to want more assets so a third team is nessicary.

Wolves are going to have to rebuild. One possible deal could see Dlo to Minnny, Kat to GSW, and Wiggins to Atlanta and Parsons to Minny. This would give the Wolves a lot of cap to rebuild and rid them of Wiggins. again, assets may be an issue.
    Kangaroo Kill count: 1

Thanks, redneck. More moves by the Jazz? The world is upside down.

I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway you're on the same wavelength as the referees. ~Jonathan Davies, 1995

Comment

Bench actually looking much better lately. Clarkson obviously been a huge boost. Bradley surprisingly reliable lately. Mudiay looks increasingly comfortable and less chaotic. And Niang playing much better since Green left, which I'm not sure if that's correlated or coincidence. When Conley gets back, that will likely move Royce to the bench providing even more depth there. The bench could go from liability to pretty solid.

Comment

Niang is much more comfortable at the 4. I don't think Green was a problem, only a poor fit. Mudiay is showing a nice numbers trend. More efficent, and more production from less minutes. I found the rumor about Milsap interesting. If we could land him, or Favs, for nothing but money, then I think we are in the mix.

Comment

Favors is not an option this year. I know we can't trade for him but I think we also couldn't even sign him.

Comment

thanks so much redneck.
            Rudy Gobert: "Frankly, I like it there and I like the project."

Comment

Chandler Parsons' car accident may end his career. https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...n-Car-Accident
              He "suffered multiple severe and permanent injuries including a traumatic brain injury, disc herniation and a torn labrum."

Very unfortunate for Parsons--freakin drunk drivers. This must also submarine any value he had for trades at the deadline--except as an expiring deal.

Comment

Got a message from someone who I know has an in with the NBA, but not sure at what level. He said that the preliminary voting suggests that both Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell will be named to the All-star game this year. Bogey is also likely to get an invite to the 3pt shooting contest. Bogey is also going to be considered for an all-star spot should somebody drop out due to injury.

Comment

If Rudy and Don aren't all-stars we riot!

Comment

With 5 days until the deadline there is a lot of stuff going on right now.

Jazz are very active but are having a very hard time finding partners. Jazz just do not have the assets teams are looking for. A few tankers may be interesting in the small contracts the Jazz have but they usually do not have the assets the Jazz want.

Mike Conley will not be traded. There is so interest, but nothing the Jazz like. Also, one of my sources say that he is going through a very difficult personal situation now. The Jazz are aware of this and letting him handle it. I was not able to get any details on it, only that it has consumed a lot of his time and his mind isn't with basketball right now.

Basically this is how you can breakdown the Jazz trade abilities.

Jazz will not trade
                    Donovan Mitchell
                    Rudy Gobert

Jazz will certainly almost not trade
                    Mike Conley
                    Bojan Bogdanovic

Jazz cannot trade
                    Joe Ingels
                    Royce O'Neale
                    Juwan Morgan
                    Rayjon Tucker

Jazz more than likely will not trade
                    Jordan Clarkson

Players the Jazz are able to willing to trade
                    Georges Niang
                    Tony Bradley
                    Ed Davis
                    Emmanuel Mudiay
                    Nigel Williams-Goss
                    Miye Oni

Picks that the Jazz can trade
                    2021 GSW 2nd
                    2022 UTA 2nd
                    2023 UTA 2nd
                    2024 UTA or CLE 2nd

Jazz have been talking to Memphis about a deal that would allow Memphis to have the Jazz first this year. Jazz would be forced to give up other considerations. This might also be part of a larger trade as well.

If the Jazz cannot get Memphis to change the deal and take their first this year, the Jazz will likely move their first at the draft.

Jazz are preparing to spend some money next summer. As soon as they are able to want to lock down Rudy and Donovan and right now they may even try to keep Clarkson and Mudiay. Thus they don't have the roster room for the pick. Jazz currently have 12 players under contract next year and will likely want to keep Clarkson and Mudiay and convert Brantley to a regular contract. So unless NGW, or Oni show some improvement the Jazz will likely part ways with them.

The Warriors have been one of the most active teams. They're basically trying to sell everyone not named Klay or Steph, and that includes Draymond. Paschall would be very hard to get. Most likely they will move Burks here soon, a few contenders like him. The Lakers really seem to be interested as does Toronto.

Portland will likely made a last gasp at the playoffs. Their problem is that they overvalue guys like Nurkic, Hood and Simons.

Denver is trying to pull a star away from a tanker. They traded getting Beal but the Wizards were not interested. They're talking with Detroit now about a Millsap for Drummond swap. One interesting trade I did hear about would be Millsap for Iggy and Solomon Hill.

Speaking of Detroit, they are in full on fire sale. Everyone is avaialbe. Jazz like Mykailiuk and Kennard. Denver also likes Kennard. Lakers like Rose. Detroit would prefer to move players with salary next year, but would accept assets for expirings like Jackson or Galloway. Detroit wants a free cap to go after Giannis and Rudy

The Knicks I am told are actually looking for salary. They want to collect assets and than try and trade for a star in a few years. This ownership is really just the worst in the NBA. They have no direction and I have heard that a lot of their trades don't make sense. Last year when they traded Porzingis they were calling teams offering study deals. They called the Lakers are offered KP for Ingram and Ball, they called Miami and offered them a deal, they called Utah and offered the Jazz a deal involving Mitchell, Favors and Rubio. Apparently they thought the Jazz were going to do it. Dallas took them up on their offer and got a star for free, but NYK's first offer was terrible I am told.

Memphis is looking for veterans with expiring deals. They are going all-in on trying to make the playoffs this year and have players other teams are interested in. JA, JV, Crowder, JJJ, and Clarke are off-limits, but several guys like Iggy, Anderson, and Allen are attracting interest around the league

Houston is looking at deals too. they quiet but they have been talking to a few teams. Probably looking for a versatile big man.

I'll keep you guys updated on anything else I hear.

Comment

It's so quiet

Comment

The 2020 NBA trade deadline has its first deal, and it’s a big one. A four-team trade has been agreed upon between the Houston Rockets, Minnesota Timberwolves, Atlanta Hawks, and Denver Nuggets, according to reports from ESPN and The Athletic.

Here’s what each team is getting in the deal.

Houston Rockets acquire: Robert Covington, Jordan Bell

Atlanta Hawks acquire: Clint Capela, Nene

Minnesota Timberwolves acquire: Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangomez, Evan Turner, Jarred Vanderbilt, first round pick from the Brooklyn Nets that was transferred by the Hawks.

Denver Nuggets acquire: Gerald Green, Noah Vonleh, Keita Bates-Diop, Shabazz Napier, first round pick from Rockets

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2020/2/...pela-covington

Comment

If Houston doesn't have Capella anymore, that is one big relief for us in the playoffs

Comment

I don't understand why they would trade Capela.

Comment

Houston has been rolling with its small ball lineup. Then they had to play one of the best defensive teams (Clippers) in the league and got destroyed. Will small ball work in the playoffs? I just don't see them getting to the Finals. Maybe not even the finals in the West.

I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway you're on the same wavelength as the referees. ~Jonathan Davies, 1995

Comment

Working...
                              X