Derrick Favors - Will He Be Back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derrick Favors - Will He Be Back?

I'm really torn on Favors. He's one of my favorite players on this team - he made the transition from those D-Will teams bearable as a Jazz fan. He's one of the more underrated players in the NBA. But he plays behind one of the best players in the NBA in Gobert - and the two of them just don't make sense to play big minutes together. His contract is also an asset in that it's not huge, but it's large enough that it could help us land another piece. Here's the challenge(s):

1) Moving on from Favors puts us super thin up front - it essentially costs us a starting PF and a backup C. Granted, we'd fill one of those spots with the money we'd save by letting him walk, but it would leave a huge hole. Which means an injury to Rudy and we are toast.
    2) Keeping Favors leaves little room to upgrade the rest of the roster beyond the minimum. So while there are a lot of pieces that would fit really, really nicely with the Jazz - we can't add them and keep Favors.
    3) While his contract would be tradable mid-season, what are we likely to get in return for it? Which players might be available that we could move? And even then, finding a situation that wants Favors AND has an asset that makes the Jazz better may be a tricky match.

I'd be interested in knowing what Favors long-term plan looks like and whether or not his salary range is something the Jazz would be willing to pay. Is he willing to accept his role in Utah and (hopefully) take a little bit less? Or does he want to start and have a bigger role on a team? If it's the later, then I think you can let him move on now and try to leverage the cap space to make a play at an impact player.
    "We can't put diapers on him one night, and a jockstrap the next"
    Forgive my spelling. Post was likely typed with my thumbs.
    www.twitter.com/sizzle801

Favors is a hard decision. I think you need 2 rotation guys with his money or an upgrade at the 4.

Comment

I think you have to guarantee, then see what comes your way. He has value if they do decide to trade.

Comment

No. The definitive answer is no. Thanks Favs. Once a Jazzman, always a Jazzman.
        "We can't put diapers on him one night, and a jockstrap the next"
        Forgive my spelling. Post was likely typed with my thumbs.
        www.twitter.com/sizzle801

Comment

Guess not...

Comment

Sad to see him go.. really sad..

Comment

Goodbye Favs. Luv u.

Comment

Favs was always the consummate pro, and his contributions were extremely undervalued. I'm not sure how his departure will impact the Jazz defensively, but let's just hope the addition of Bojan will more than offset any marginal loss caused by Favors's departure.
                "Things work out best for the people who make the best out of the way things work out."
                - John Wooden

Comment

I would be much more worried about the loss of Favors if we hadn't signed Ed Davis. He was absolutely the perfect low-cost replacement as a backup 4/5.

That said, definitely sad to see Favs go and wish him the absolute best in the rest of his career. He's one of those guys like Millsap who will always be a Jazzman no matter where he goes.

Comment

I think Davis will start and then they will bring Jingles in. Then sub Gobert out later and bring Davis in at C.

Comment

Getting Davis removes some of the sting. I hope we see a 55 win team this year.

Comment

Just getting caught up on some Jazz off-season and I found this local radio interview with Favors. The entire interview is really good. Some highlights for me, he is excited about his future, but he truly seemed to like Utah and his comments about Exum were interesting (he felt Exum's breakout year was going to be the year he got injured with that "dude" falling on his shoulder).

Anyway, if you have 30 minutes, take some time to listen. Favors will always be one of my favorites. Accepted his role and made no stink. I hope he comes back to a thunderous standing ovation when he returns for his first game back.

https://espn700sports.com/news/derri...with-the-jazz/

Comment

Working...
                        X