X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game 3 - Rockets @ Jazz

Originally posted by TrueAg View Post
    No effort to fight the switch, Quin does that way too much
    Paul and Harden would just get somewhere in the vicinity of each other and our guys would automatically switch. What's the point of having Royce even start on Harden if you're just going to do that?

Comment

@andyblarsen
      The tracking numbers are in: The Jazz went 4 OF 26 on wide-open jump shots last night (defined as a shot with the defender more than 6 feet away). 4 OF 26. 15 PERCENT.
      Good work guys!

Comment

*blinks bewilderedly*

Comment

Somebody posted this on reddit. I assume his numbers are right.

During the HOU - UTA series, the Jazz have generated the most wide open 3's per game out of all playoff teams. They are shooting just 18.8% on 21.4 wide open 3 point attempts a game.

When a team shoots this badly, the "open for a reason" question comes up. Are the Rockets doing this by design, and what statistical backing do the Rockets have for employing this scheme?

During the season, the Jazz had the highest percentage of their shots taken as wide open 3's. They were making 38.8% of them, good for 9th in the league. Furthermore, the Jazz also led the league in % of their 3's taken as corner 3's in the season. They have increased that margin in the playoffs and are again leading all teams in corner 3's. They are shooting 22.9% on corner 3's.

It's pretty clear to me that these are shots that the Jazz want to take and that they are decent at making them. But what about at the individual level? Are the Rockets doing a great job of selectively picking and choosing who to help off of?

Of of the UTA's top 6 wide open 3 point shooters, 5 of them are getting more attempts in this series than they did in the season. This includes Mitchell, Ingles, and O'Neale.

Here is a look at how atrocious the Jazz wide open shooting has been, or how good the air has played defense against them:

PLAYER RS 3PA PO 3PA RS 3P% PO 3P%
          Joe Ingles 3.6 4 41.9 16.7
          Royce O'Neale 2 3.7 40.4 27.3
          Donovan Mitchell 2.7 2.7 44.3 12.5
          Ricky Rubio 2.9 2.3 33.8 28.6
          Georges Niang 1.4 2.3 43.8 28.6
          Thabo Sefolosha 1.3 2 44.6 25
          Jae Crowder 3.5 2 35.4 0
          Grayson Allen 1.9 1.5 32.9 0
          Kyle Korver 1.8 1 41.2 33.3
          Derrick Favors 0.8 0.7 23 0
          Raul Neto 1.3 0.3 32.7 0

Comment

Jazz play a nearly perfect game and still lose.
            This team does not have enough scoring, period.
            DUTY NOW FOR THE FUTURE!!

Comment

Yeah, played about as well on defense as possible against that team. That kind of game you should win by 20.

Comment

The start of the 3rd quarter was the beginning of the downfall for the Jazz. Rubio misses 2 FT's. Donovan misses 2 FT's. Ultimately there were 7 missed FT's in the early minutes of the quarter.

Also, what's up with Crowder? He doesn't seem to be playing with his usual fire. He doesn't look invested to me. I think Favors is playing better than him, and I didn't agree with Jae starting.

As I sat there watching the antics and whining of Harden and Paul, I had the same thoughts I have every year regardless of who Houston is playing and that is, I hope neither one of them every win anything.

I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway you're on the same wavelength as the referees. ~Jonathan Davies, 1995

Comment

No one can make a shot in the playoffs. We'd have lost to Detroit in the first round this year.

I wonder if Quin messed up everyone's rhythm with the crappy defensive plugin.

Comment

Can we win uh game? Clippers won one. Orlando won one. Even Brooklyn won one. Can the Jazz win one game?

Comment

If they don't win game 4, then Anti was right - last playoffs was this team's ceiling.

Comment

Originally posted by echo77 View Post
                        If they don't win game 4, then Anti was right - last playoffs was this team's ceiling.
                        We definitely need more scoring. If we just had Eric Gordon (and they didnít) - that alone would make this series much more competitive.

Comment

Ok we won game 4, so Anti was not right ;)

Comment

Working...
                          X