Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The official Donovan Mitchell thread

Chris Vernon on the Ringer NBA show :

"Pitino loved him[Mitchell], which tells you everything you need to know... Pitino doesn't love anybody and he swore by the kid. I went and talked to Glynn Cyprien, who coached the Grizzlies summer league team. The Grizzlies played against Mitchell and it was the game he had 37 and 8 steals and I watched the game and I thought it looks like you put a 4-time NBA all-star out on the floor with the rest of these guys. He's just so much better than everyone. And after the game I went and talked to the coach [Glynn Cyprien] about Donovan Mitchell. And he told me that in last year he was a personnel guy and a scout for the Grizzlies and he went to Louisville to see one of their practices and said during the course of the practice Pitino came over to him and told him "Cyp, this is the best shooter that I've ever had". Think about everybody that's ever played for Rick Pitino. He said "this kid's the best shooter I've had". And then... after the practice is over... Donovan Mitchell walks straight over to him and said "Coach, my name's Donovan Mitchell. Is there any tips you can give me that will help me on the next level?". And he was like "I was just blown away". I'm telling you every single person I've gone to at SL... none of them are Jazz related people, did nothing but rave about this kid both on and off the court. I think I'm pretty much all in on Donovan Mitchell".
    https://www.listennotes.com/the-ring...agency-ep-133/

Saw this somewhere else and figured I'd share. Choo-choo baby! All aboard the hype train!
    "We can't put diapers on him one night, and a jockstrap the next"
    Forgive my spelling. Post was likely typed with my thumbs.
    www.twitter.com/sizzle801

Comment

Originally posted by ThaSizzle View Post
      https://www.listennotes.com/the-ring...agency-ep-133/

Saw this somewhere else and figured I'd share. Choo-choo baby! All aboard the hype train!
      And to think this guy WANTED to come to Utah and was excited when it happened.

Comment

Amen! Makes me giddy the more I think about it. Great find, ThaSizzle!
        Shrimp Mamba

Comment

Comment

I think he is the main reason the Jazz haven't looked at bringing in scorers they are pretty confident in this kid.
            "He is the best point guard of all-time"

- Steve Nash, referring to John Stockton

Comment

Originally posted by LenkoNuffSaid View Post
              I think he is the main reason the Jazz haven't looked at bringing in scorers they are pretty confident in this kid.
              Well, if we could get a cheap scorer (especially one that plays D) it would be a pretty big deal. Saves cash to go get that 3rd guy.
              DUTY NOW FOR THE FUTURE!!

Comment

Fun article about Mitchell.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...the-draft.html

Comment

To be a star, Mitchell is going to have to be a hybrid PG, IMO. And for that to work, Jazz will need a 3PT shooter at the other guard position who can also handle the ball. I just don't see Mitchell with the ability to be a starting SG. Size was the reason he wasn't picked a lot higher.

That said, I'm excited to see him as a 6th man. I hope Quin plays Mitchell and Exum in tandem. That was incredible to watch in the Utah SL. And those two would eat up opposing backups defensively.
                  Last edited by TheAntiFan; 08-23-2017, 08:04 AM.

Comment

As a 6th man, Mitchell might turn out to be a rich man's Patty Mills. But I would be very surprised if he isn't at least approaching starter's minutes by the end of the season whether he starts or not. Kid is going to be a powder keg out there.
                    How do you score under 35 in a half? Utah's tank is too strong -Raptors fan

Comment

I absolutely do see Mitchell as a starting SG. I see him excelling at SG. He is not a PG, so don't play him as one. He can defend the 2, so he is a 2.

Comment

I love this kid. I also love the combination of him and Rudy, not just as basketball players, but as personalities. They are so much fun to watch play and to listen to their interviews. As good a player as Gordon was, he was boring off the court and as an All Star. I feel like the media will love Rudy and Donovan at All Star Weekend. A refreshing change for the Jazz.

I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway you're on the same wavelength as the referees. ~Jonathan Davies, 1995

Comment

I absolutely do see Mitchell as a starting SG. I see him excelling at SG. He is not a PG, so don't play him as one. He can defend the 2, so he is a 2.
                          Totally agree. His height shouldn't hurt him at all thanks to his long arms and incredible athleticism. Usually smaller SGs are disadvantaged on defense. We all know that won't be the case with Mitchell.

Comment

I feel like I should not put too much expectation on a rookie.. I'm really getting way too optimistic, and it'll hurt if he doesn't live up to it..

Comment

Originally posted by CactusKing04 View Post
                              Totally agree. His height shouldn't hurt him at all thanks to his long arms and incredible athleticism. Usually smaller SGs are disadvantaged on defense. We all know that won't be the case with Mitchell.
                              I'm also thinking offensively. He's going to have a tough time shooting over much taller SG's.

Comment

Originally posted by leetrakul View Post
                                I feel like I should not put too much expectation on a rookie.. I'm really getting way too optimistic, and it'll hurt if he doesn't live up to it..
                                Yup. Excited by his potential, but other than that. I'm in total wait-and-see mode. If he has as good a rookie season as Mo Williams - I will consider him a moderate success.

BTW - Mo Williams averaged 8 ppg, on 44% FG, 35% 3 pointers and 90% FT.

Comment

Working...
                                X