X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Free Agent do you want?

Given that

A) The Jazz need to spend money to meet the minimum salary

B) Dennis Lindsey had two different trade deals that he thought were done deals fall through at the last second before the deadline where the Jazz were picking up salary.

It seems evident that we are going to add some salary this summer. I see Dennis Lindsey being aggressive in his pursuit of whomever he feels can help this team win games. That being said, if you were him, which free agents do you target? Who are you going after?
    Eric Gordon
    6.25%
    Jordan Clarkson
    12.50%
    Evan Fournier
    68.75%
    Arron Aflalo
    0.00%
    Courtney Lee
    12.50%

Re: Which Free Agent do you want?

I would revise A to say "The Jazz need to spend money to improve the quality of their players" They don't HAVE to hit the minimum salary--they would just have to pay it out to those on the roster should they not hit the floor--so for me its focusing on the wrong reason. If you have this much cap room available, you should spend it to improve the team. I don't think the roster as constituted is sufficient to say we don't need any better players. That said, this is a bit of an underwhelming group of players for me to choose from.

Comment

I'd actually like any of those guys

Comment

I think they would all bring something to the table.

Comment

If I was Dennis Lindsey, I would copy what the Celtics did in 2007 summer.

Offer max or near-max salary / Overpay a free agent veteran, or players coming out of their rookie contract. Being:

1. Mike Conley
          2. Al Horford
          3. Harrison Barnes
          4. Nicolas Batum
          5. Bradley Beal

and even if these players don't come or get matched, I would offer it anyways: Durant, Drummond, DeRozan..

And as much as I hate this, I would put together a package of our young assets to get a star (or potential superstar) that is currently in a bad situation. We might have to give a combination of these players to get them: Harward, Favors, Gobert, Hood, Exum and/or Lyles. There's not many players in here now, and I really do not like Harden's defense, nor Anthony's attitude, but this list changes all the time, and we always have to be looking out for this "not in a good situation star.

1. Harden
          2. Carmelo Anthony
          3. Kevin Love

Other than that, I would try to solidify the bench with veteran players
          1. Deron Williams
          2. David West
          3. Jamal Crawford

Comment

Evan Fournier, guy can make shots. Gobert tweeted him after Scott Skiles left to come to Utah. Hopefully Gobert can persuade him.

Comment

I'm with TrueAg that I would take any of these guys. Fournier probably has the most dynamic game but I wonder if Courtney Lee doesn't fit our system a bit better. Can't wait to see someone like him making all those shots that CJ missed last year!

Comment

Where would Fournier get playing time?? I could see taking Ingles time but not Hayward, Hood or Burks.
                Rudy Gobert lands Defensive player of the year award!(Salt Lake Tribune, April 2016)

Comment

With Burks injury history I don't think it will be a problem having another shooter/scorer. I think Fournier is better than Hood that he is more consistent than him, but Hood will be really good in a few.

Comment

I know he's not a free agent but I would love to have Jr. Smith. Makes shots and is a little bit of a punk which is what the Jazz need.

Comment

Originally posted by GinkiGang View Post
                      I know he's not a free agent but I would love to have Jr. Smith. Makes shots and is a little bit of a punk which is what the Jazz need.
                      Uh no.

Comment

Wut.
                        "They ......g sucked dick tonight...Where the .... is the home cooking you ....-suckers." -- cammersvt

Comment

Of that group, I would pick Fournier.

Burks has missed too much time due to injury for us not to have a solid replacement should he get hurt again. If Burks does stay healthy, then he can perhaps play some minutes behind Exum at the point if we want to keep that much length on the floor. It would also give us a bit more flexibility if they want to try a small ball lineup with Hayward at the 4.

My ideal add would be Bradley Beal though, but I think it would take a max offer to get him.

Comment

Fournier and Courtney Lee are the two most interesting to me. I think those are guys who are able to shoot but also play D. Afflalo has been inconsistent from memory. Eric Gordon I would've loved a year or two ago, but his injury history scares me. Fournier fits in terms of age and ability well with what this team is wanting to do -- and if there is any chance Hayward is moving, then yeah, I'd be all over Fournier.

If I were the Jazz, I think I'd be wanting someone whose positional versatility is that of a big 3 / stretch 4 first, following by a 2 / 1 combo guard. Someone who can shoot and come in off the bench and spark instant offense, but also handle the ball if needs be. I don't know that they'll find that guy out there, but those are the biggest needs I see. Fournier and Lee are both 2/3s. Most of those guys actually fit that mold. I guess Jordan Clarkson does for the combo guard. I just worry that Clarkson is a bigger Trey Burke -- high usage, not a great shooter, not a great defender with inflated numbers. Maybe I'm wrong there, but he doesn't excite me.
                            "We can't put diapers on him one night, and a jockstrap the next"
                            Forgive my spelling. Post was likely typed with my thumbs.
                            www.twitter.com/sizzle801

Comment

Working...
                            X